lawsuit – New York Daily News

A visit to a Queens hospital for anti-anxiety medication following a sexual assault turned into a horrific hours-long ordeal where a New York model was thrown into a psychiatric ward, stripped and drugged, claims the victim in a new trial.

Abeba Davis, 39, was visiting her social worker at Queens County Hospital Center in Jamaica on Jan. 8, 2021, to pick up the prescription about a week after her assault, her lawsuit said. But when his social worker walked away for a moment, Davis was taken to the facility’s psychiatric ward, told to strip and given pills – while insisting she was sane, the lawsuit was filed last month in the States Supreme Court of Queens.

“I start. ‘Please, I’m not crazy.’ And they say, ‘Yeah, yeah,’ because the person next to me also says they’re not crazy,” Davis said. crying during an interview with the Daily News: “No one can hear me, I was nothing to them. I was just a naked black girl sitting in the corner begging to come out and saying, “I’m not crazy.” I am not crazy.'”

Davis says she was sexually assaulted about a week before the incident and filed charges with the NYPD. Her alleged attacker pleaded guilty to a non-criminal offense in November, according to the Queens District Attorney’s Office.

Davis had been assigned to the social worker, who asked him to come to the hospital before receiving a prescription, according to the lawsuit. Medical records show that Davis was in the hospital to “restart medicine.”

“She didn’t say anything about me going for a psychiatric evaluation,” Davis said of her social worker.

The model was waiting in the emergency room when her social worker walked away for a minute, promising to come back right away, Davis said. A nurse then approached, took her into a room and started asking questions, Davis said. Then another nurse took her to another wing of the hospital where a cop was guarding a metal door.

Inside that room, a woman undressed Davis as the model asked what was going on, she said.

Davis said hospital workers told her she needed to be transferred to the psychiatric ward. They took her phone, her jewelry and her clothes, leaving her half-naked with a sheet to cover her upper body, Davis recalled.

Then she was thrown into a holding room “surrounded by mentally ill people,” Davis said.

A naked, screaming man roamed the room while another woman glared menacingly at her, according to the costume. A third woman had COVID-19, Davis said, but was not wearing a mask.

A frightened Davis was told to take two pills and calm down by one of the workers, who said she would be kept indefinitely if she didn’t relax, she said. Davis says she doesn’t know what kind of pills she took.

After hours of waiting, Davis finally saw her social worker behind a plexiglass window.

“Please, please get me out of here,” she begged her social worker, who told her to stay seated.

A few more hours passed before Davis was finally released.

“(The social worker) even said they messed up by welcoming me like that and she was sorry it happened to me,” Davis recalled.

She thinks she was held in the psychiatric ward for about 10 hours. The medical records getting Davis off pysch’s ward offer no clue as to why she was detained there.

latest news

latest news

As it happens

Get updates on the coronavirus pandemic and other news as they happen with our free email alerts.

“Patient has no psychotic mood or symptoms, denies suicidal/homicidal ideation,” a doctor wrote after Davis’ visit. “The patient has sound insight and judgment.” The doctor noted that he spoke with Davis’ sister, who said Davis was “psychiatrically stable.”

The experience after the sexual assault was so traumatic that Davis left town and moved to Miami, she told The News.

“It’s that worst nightmare where you know the harder you try to get the attention of caregivers to tell them you’re not crazy, the more you play into a caregiver’s narrative that you should be there,” said William Igbokwe. , Davis’ attorney.

The New York City Health and Hospitals and Legal Department did not respond to requests for comment.

“Hopefully everything will be fine for her,” Davis’ social worker said, declining to comment further.

About the author