A cow in Karnataka had to undergo surgery to remove a gold chain she accidentally swallowed.
Srikanth Hegde and her family living in Heepanahalli, Sirsi Taluk, Uttara Kannada district own a 4 year old cow and a calf. On the eve of Diwali, during the Gow Puja ceremony, the family bathed the cow and calf and performed the puja. Like many households in this region, the cow is considered sacred. Cows all adorned with garlands and colorful flowers can be found during this time in the area. Some people also consider the cow to be a form of ‘Lakshmi’, the goddess of wealth. They adorn their cows with gold jewelry, perform the puja, feed them and then take back the jewelry.
This is where it all went wrong for the Hedge family. Hegde’s family had put a gold chain weighing 20 grams around the calf’s neck. They then removed it and kept it with flowers and other items in front of the cow. In a few minutes, the gold chain was gone. The family started looking for the chain everywhere. They also searched the barn, until the family suspected the cow might have swallowed the chain. While they were away for a moment, the cow had perhaps swallowed the chain and the flowers kept as an offering.
For 30 to 35 days since the incident, Hegde’s family religiously checked cow and calf manure every day, but were disappointed not to find the chain. Finally, they went to the vet for help. The doctor used a metal detector to confirm the presence of metal in the cow’s stomach. Later, a scan was done to pinpoint the exact spot in the cow’s belly.
At the request of the family, the cow was operated on and the gold chain was removed. The chain was stuck inside the animal’s stomach. The chain now weighs 18 grams because a small end of the chain is missing. The family is relieved to get their golden chain back, but upset, the animal has had to go through the ordeal. The cow is now said to be recovering from the surgery.
Read all the latest news, breaking news and news on the coronavirus here.